Friday 15 January 2010

Is Jesus Turuk Makto?

After seeing the amazing film 'Avatar' for the second time, and having God speak to me in so many ways, I started to see the parallels between the hero Jake Sully and Jesus. You have to bear with me on this one, because it isn't a like for like comparison, nor would I want it to be.

You have to have watched the film to have an appreciation of what I am saying. 'Turuk' is a giant dragon like creature - his name Turuk' means 'last shadow' in Na'vi meaning the beast is the last shadow it's victim will ever see as the giant dragon swoops upon it. It is a formidable enemy and could be seen as an allegory for death.

Jake Sully in a feat of incredible daring and courage, in a last-ditch attempt to save the indiginous Na'vi population of Pandora, masters this beast and proves that he is 'Turuk Makto' - master of last shadow.

Because he conquers this ultimate enemy, he earns the respect and the belief of the people.

Natiri, Jake's Na'vi bride sums up the faith surge that Jakes act produces with the words; 'I was afraid for my people.... I am not afraid anymore'

Jesus does the same for me. In his hands the bride never needs to fear. There is nothing greater than the promise of God that he Loves us and will never leave or forsake us, and that HE will build his church.

Before I leave this post, I must just mention my thoughts on the Na'vi deity - Ey'wa (The name is uncannily similar to 'Yahweh' with only the letter 'h' missing).

I think it is amazing that the deity seems to hear Jake's prayer at the Tree of Souls, and that the victory over the attacking human forces is made possible by a 'supernatural' act (in Na'vi terms) of normally hostile animals working together with one mind to attack the invaders.

This happens at the last minute, when all hope is lost. God steps in a mighty way.

No comments:

Post a Comment